Read About it Below or Listen
“The Polk County Courthouse is one of only 14 pre-Civil War courthouses that exists in North Carolina. Of those antebellum courthouses it is the 8th oldest actively used courthouse in the state. It has been the primary courthouse for Polk County since it was completed in 1859.
This stately historic structure was built by Ephraim Clayton and George Shackelford. Clayton is known throughout Western North Carolina for his quality building and workmanship. Numerous structures he constructed still remain in the region. This building’s design is primarily Greek Revival with elements of another styled called Italianate.
Special to this building are the original spiral stairs and the heart pine floors on the second level. The bell is original and dated 1858. One of the finest governmental buildings in the western half of the state.”
Link to UgoTour narration coming